Marty believes that as a coastal city, Boston must be a climate champion. Climate change presents a unique threat to the health, safety, and jobs of today’s Bostonians and tomorrow’s. And in a city of science and progress like ours, climate action is not only a responsibility but also an opportunity: to create good, green jobs; to save money through energy efficiency; and to develop the technologies and solutions of the future. So as mayor, he has made climate action a top priority. In the process, he has made Boston a national and global leader. Each year of Marty’s tenure, Boston has been ranked the #1 city in the country for energy efficiency by the American Council on an Energy Efficient Economy.
- Protecting our environment. Boston’s Climate Action Plan is a roadmap for saving energy and money across all sectors, with the ultimate goal of cutting carbon emissions 80% by 2050.
- Protecting Boston’s neighborhoods. The Climate Ready Boston report shows how rising sea levels and storms are likely to affect Boston, and guides how to prepare our neighborhoods and infrastructure for this impact.
- National and global leadership.
- Mayor Walsh was named North American Co-Chair of the C40 Climate Cities steering committee, a nationwide network.
- In 2017, Boston led cities nationwide in upholding our nation’s commitments to the Paris Climate Agreement, including publishing climate data online that had been scrubbed from the EPA’s website.
- Unparalleled local engagement. At the Paris climate conference in 2015, Boston beat out cities around the world to win the C40 award for Smart Cities and Smart Community Engagement.
- Raising the bar. Mayor Walsh recently accelerated the original carbon reduction goals of Boston’s Climate Action Plan, in order to become carbon neutral by 2050–the most aggressive energy efficiency goal of any city our size.
- Protecting our neighborhoods. Implement Climate Ready Boston preparations in 8 neighborhood focus areas.
- Creating a cleaner, greener city. Launch a Zero Waste Plan, to make Boston a waste- and litter-free city.
- Taking our energy efficiency leadership to a new level through energy performance contracting. Marty will implement the Renew Boston Trust, a program to manage energy retrofits of large public buildings that are self-financed by future savings (energy performance contracting).
- Keeping climate change and climate action at the forefront and continuing to advocate for these issues locally and nationally.